The ChariTree Foundation is Canada’s environmental education charity for children
The ChariTree Foundation is a registered Canadian charity and United Nations climate observer organization. Based in Greater Vancouver, this volunteer-run, grassroots non-profit supports nature-based climate education projects for children and youth across Canada and around the world.
The ChariTree Foundation was founded by Andrea Koehle Jones and named in honour of the generosity of trees and all they quietly do for us.
Let’s get kids off screens and outdoors more. These days many children have less time and fewer opportunities to connect with nature. This is a real loss because research shows that contact with nature makes kids feel better about themselves. We can start by educating our youth about the environment and supporting our schools and summer camps to lead the way in creating sustainable communities and environmental leaders.
Exposure to nature can reduce a child’s stress level by 28%
The ChariTree Foundation is a climate and biodiversity education and UN Climate Observer organization that:
- supports and advocates for formal and informal environmental education for children and youth across Canada and around the world;
- funds outdoor classrooms at schools and children’s camps in an effort to support outdoor learning programs, green schools and EcoSchools;
- strives to introduce children and teens to the wonders of nature so they will become #EnvironmentalLeaders;
- supports protecting biodiversity through environmental conservation, education and reforestation projects as well as protecting old-growth forests so they will be there for children in future generations;
- supports children and youth working on #climatechange solutions;
- introduces kids to the wonders of #nature through outdoor learning classes, #treeplanting projects, reading environment books for youth, and helping kids reduce stress and get off screens and outside more.
Children’s Tree Planting Projects
If children are going to make a lifelong commitment to protect the environment for themselves and future generations, they first need time to explore the wonders of nature. ChariTree gives kids a tree of their own to plant through Canada’s schools and summer camps. It’s about learning to care for something beyond yourself while learning about #biodiversity, #sustainability, self-sufficiency, animal habitat restoration, #reforestation, #trees as future food sources, #climatechangesolutions and so much more.
ChariTree strives to give as many children as we can a tree of their own. ChariTree donates trees and pays for them to be shipped to schools, camps and children’s organizations across Canada and around the world. In addition to children’s tree projects in Canada, ChariTree has also provided local trees to children in Zambia, Malawi, Ethiopia, Nepal, Mongolia and Kenya. It’s about supporting environmental education programs for children by giving kids a tree to plant at their home, camp or school that is native to their region ~ and an opportunity to connect with nature, lead on climate and contribute positively to their world.
It’s about boosting opportunities for transformative, innovative and transdisciplinary education, formal and informal, at all levels, including science-policy interface studies and lifelong learning processes, recognizing diverse world views, values and knowledge systems of indigenous peoples and local communities.
The ChariTree Foundation is a small, volunteer-run non-profit inspired by The Hummingbird Story as told by Nobel Peace laureate Wangari Maathai. As the little hummingbird races to fight a massive wildfire, we are reminded that you are never too small and your actions are never too small to make a difference. This is a message all children, youth — everyone needs to hear now.
The Charitree Foundation is a registered Canadian charity. (BN#:850442328RR0001) Everyone at ChariTree volunteers their time and nobody is paid so donations can go directly to kids. Under the direction of Executive Director Andrea Koehle Jones and the board of directors, The ChariTree Foundation:
- organizes and participates in children’s environmental learning projects that involve tree planting and donating trees for planting in Canada and around the world.
- gifts funds to qualified doners (as defined in subsection 149.1(1) of the Income Tax Act) in Canada and around the world that benefits children and the environment and increases the Foundation’s reach.